Information to assist Principals and other school leaders to understand and support national certification
The role of the school leader in national teacher certification
School leaders are involved at each stage of the certification process. The school leader plays a vital role in supporting the applicant at each of the following stages:
- Recognise highly effective teachers in your school and encourage them to take part in the process.
- Support Assessors in their school to undertake the training and to participate in the assessment processes required.
- Have a professional discussion with the prospective applicant regarding their readiness to apply based on the Teacher Standards.
- Support the applicant to compile their portfolio of evidence
- Provide feedback to the applicant through recent observations of classroom practice
- Provide a written referee statement for the application with reference to the Teacher Standards
- Have a professional discussion (with reference to the Teacher Standards) with the external assessor during the Stage two site visit.